- Development of computational methods and processing pipelines dedicated to the project
- Application of existing and development of new analytical and ML solutions
- Data visualization and communication
- Work in close collaboration with our medical collaboration partners
- Managing the project in terms of data organization, analysis, and deadlines
- Collaboration with our medical informatics partners who will establish data management platform
- PhD degree in computer science, physics, bioinformatics, or a related field
- Excellence in programming (python)
- Proven experience with deep learning
- Experience with computation on cluster architectures
- Great communication skills, capacity of working in a team and in an interdisciplinary environment
- Capacity of independently managing a project involving multiple collaboration partners
Applications should include CV, cover letter, and contact to 2 references.
- Opportunity to apply and develop cutting-edge machine learning and computational technologies to resolve timely medical and scientific problems
- Collaborative, and international multi-disciplinary working environment where colloquial and working language is English
- Development and networking through participation in workshop and conferences both ML and biology or medicine
Working at the University Hospital Cologne and the Medical Faculty means helping to shape the future - the future of medicine, of patients and, of course, your own future. You benefit from 60 clinics and institutes as well as numerous other departments and facilities and more than 12,000 jobs. The Faculty of Medicine of the University of Cologne and the University Hospital Cologne assume important social tasks in research, teaching and patient care. A close network with many university and non-university partners guarantees an internationally successful science and the excellent education of our students.
Our group is working on data-intensive problems in biomedicine by combining machine learning, statistical and other computational methods. Image data and deep learning solutions represent key focus of our research. Embedded in the thriving biomedical campus in Cologne, we are involved in scientific collaborations with partners across medical disciplines and address questions ranging from histopathology of cancer to behavioral changes in neurodegenerative diseases.
As a part of a newly established collaboration with the Eye Hospital in Cologne we will analyze large datasets of diagnostic and experimental images of the eye, its lymphatic and immunoregulatory composition. Cologne Eye Hospital is one of Germany’s largest in terms of treated patients and scientific output and is generating large volumes of image data of the organ.
We are looking for a postdoctoral candidate who will take the lead in this project. The role will involve development of image analysis methods for quantifying information in large image datasets depicting eye morphology and its change in disease. Besides data analysis, the postdoctoral scholar will be responsible for communication with the medical and experimental collaboration partners as well as the medical informatics partners who will establish data management platform for this project.